Tablet PC help, please?

Q. So the gf is whining at me that I don't have any "big" items on the old Christmas list. She started looking at getting me a tablet since I use apps on my commute and read comics on my Kindle (admittedly a pain in the ass). So I told her that I didn't want her spending a lot of money, but if she can find one on Black Friday that has a 9 or 10" screen, access to a decent app store and the ability to expand the memory (SD/microSD whatever), that would be cool (although I already carry my phone, ipod, XM radio and kindle on my commute). The problem I'm seeing is of course you can't get anything too good for a cheap price. And I'm not looking for top of the line. Heck, I've already read about how to install roms onto them to get the Android App Store or the amazon App store, so that's not a big deal.

I saw the pandigital 9" tablet is going to be on sale at BigLots on Black Friday and they look....okay. But I suspect it's more E-reader than tablet. I can't seem to get a definitive answer on whether or not it can be jailbroken to run apps and such.

Anyone have any decent suggestions?

A. If you want a decent TABLET experience rather than EREADER, I wouldn't recommend the pandigital ereader. Gotta spend money for something like that in the 150-200 dollar range or more. Things like the kinda fire, vizio vtab, pandigital supernova are pretty good.

A decent android tablet should have at least 512mb ram. The cheap ereaders are usually lower and run outdated firmware.

I personally have a pandigital planet from kohls and I use a hacked custom firmware from slatedroid and made the tablet on par with a midrange smartphone.
I got the pandigital price down from 160 to only around 80 bucks using coupons and kohls cash, and 20 dollar rebate.

This black friday you can stack two 15% coupons (15% off everything and 15% off orders over 100$) and free shipping. After coupons 160 is turned into only $115.60.
AND you get 15 dollars kohls cash for every 50 bucks spent. So 85 dollars.
AND 20 dollar rebate = 65 dollars.

The pandigital planet runs flash 11 after rom hack, has 512mb ram, and a decent 800mhz samsung based cpu.

Site for pandigital planet hackers:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/24430-upâ¦

So yeah IMO the pandigital planet is the best CHEAPEST color ereader/tablet hybrid.
BUT the better tablets like Kindle Fire are recommended if you want to play advanced 3d android games and have capacitive touch screen and overall better smooth UI.

The pandigital planet aint no slacker though. Runs 1080p through mini hdmi cable pretty well and plays youtube HQ perfectly, which is all I need. Slows down on some 3d android games though but 2d games are okay.

The 9 inch from biglots has only 256 mb ram. There is a custom rom firmware for it that makes it better but I don't think its worth it. See for yourself here:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/15773-alternate-bpdn-9-inch-firmware-opdn9/

I really recommend the pandigital planet. Very underrated model. Also kohls cash for your
girlfriend to buy clothes or whatever!

EDIT: you can't stack coupons anymore. DAMN you kohls!!!!
But there is a 20% off coupon. and 15 dollar kohls cash for every 50 bucks spent. Still decent I guess.

With the iPhone 5 rumoured to have FM, AM & satellite radio, will any Android phones have those features too?
Q. The latest BIG news coming out of Apple watchers is that the next generation Apple iPhone 5 and the next generation Apple iPod Touch will have a tuner capable of receiving satellite, FM & AM radio. In most cities, FM radio carries more music while AM radio carries more news and live sports broadcasts. XM satellite radio is a paid radio subscription that is often commercial free.

Do the makers of other smartphones, plan to launch any smartphones with AM & FM radio capability?

Other smartphone makers include:
Research in Motion - Blackberry OS
Nokia- Symbian OS
HTC - Android
Samsung - Android
Motorola - Android
LG - Android
Lenovo - Android
Acer - Android
Sony Ericsson - Android

Since the other smartphone makers are in a tremendous battle with Apple, will they try to copy this feature and launch it to market before Apple launches their much anticipated iPhone 5?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/12/the-iphone-to-gain-radio-interactive-radio-map-functionality.html

http://www.simonblog.com/2010/12/11/iphone-5-rumors-fm-am-satelite-radio-and-radial-menus/
Phone Geek - The Google Nexus One does not have FM radio. My question is which smart phones will have AM & FM radio built in. Not just FM. I want to know which phones, if any will include both bands. Thank you.

A. Well alot of the high end Androids already have FM radios after root

my G2 does
Also the N1 does have FM support you just to be rooted and flash a custom kernel and im pretty sure it was in cyanogen mod 6.0

and those are rumored specs...........which i doubt that Apple will put in an XM receiver

that's usually not a spec on the phones at least i haven't seen it on any upcoming phones

Android 2.0 on Verizon Eris - Any way to stream content? (.pls, .asx, SIRIUS-XM Satellite Radio)?
Q. Hello.

I have an HTC Eris with Android on it.

I have a Sirius XM account and people are able to stream it online, though the page uses some embedded windows media player app in a regular browser. Is there anyway to download an extension that lets me do this on the Eris?

Also, I like to stream music from www.di.fm and they can stream it using Winamp and Windows Media Player using the file extensions .pls and .asx. Anyway to make this work on the Eris?

I did a half hearted search in the Droid Market. I figured asking the experts here on Yahoo would be more fruitful.

Thanks,

A. There is no app for this at this time. You can use Slacker Radio or Pandora in the meantime. BTW, the Eris is Android 1.5 at this time, not 2.0.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment