What does a software developer do exactly?

Q. More specifically, what are they capable of doing? Can they build and implement programs from scratch? Can they develop apps for an ipad? If I was a software developer, could I realistically start my own company and develop a bunch of programs to sell? Do they do the actual programming themselves? I'm interested in getting a degree in software development to implement my ideas. I want to know if I would be able to do all these things with this degree.

A. "Software Developer" is a pretty generic term, and doesn't really indicate the skills of the developer.

As a developer, I estimate projects and design those projects from scratch. The architecture, database design, business logic, and flow of the system. I write the actual code that is used for the application, and the HTML needed to display it (I'm mainly deal in ASP.NET, specifically, c#)

About the only thing I don't do anymore is the design of the UI, because we have a design department to do that. But I do have to figure out how to incorporate their design best into code.

Once you get some experience and become better as a programmer, you'll be able to more easily adapt to other languages and platforms. Your knowledge in how applications work will help you in developing systems for other devices. For example, I jumped in and starting doing Android development even though I had never programmed in java (very similar to c#) and knowing pretty much nothing about the Android. Probably half of my time was spent learning the new development environment and dev tools and installing the IDE and SDK and setting it up the way I like it.

The other 4/5th of the time was spent learning about the droid platform and the application lifecycle and how everything "talks" to each other. And then just 1/5 of the time in writing the actual code.

Do I need a phone in order to create Android apps?
Q. Is owning an Android phone necessary to code apps for it? I know technically it would be a good idea to own the latest phone with the latest Android system, but I don't want to shell out for the monthly plan. Can I do everything I need to on my computer?

I own a phone with version 1.6 that I no longer use, so I have practical experience on the user interface.

A. No - you do not need an Android Phone at all. Most devices that have an API alsorelease what is called an emulator so development can be completely developed and tested on a workstation

http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/emulator.html

You would use the emulator to emulate an Android phone. It is really the only effecient way to develop and test mobile applications

How the software development works nowadays?
Q. Hello, after the develop of the smart phones i heard that the common steps are the follows:

1- create your software
2- create a web site to adversities it
3- try to uses all the platform as linux,windows and mac
4- develop an application to use the software in smart phones(iphone,android)

do you think nowadays every software developed should also be create it for smart phones?

A. 4. No, the user interface is quite different. Usually , though major programs ofter have someone doing a port.

Step 3, actually is best to put before step 1. If you want it to run on all platforms, it is best to use specifically multi-platform tools and programing languages.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment