What does it mean to "root" an Android Phone?

Q. I've googled about this but I can't seem to find a good guide for me to understand. I have a Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S). I know rooting a phone gets you a lot of cool stuff, but exactly what? How do you do it? and what can I do to make sure I don't accidently screw my phone up? Does anyone know a really good guide for beginners like me? Thanks!

A. Here's a good link that would help you know what's worth it.
http://lifehacker.com/5806135/the-10-best-android-apps-that-make-rooting-your-phone-worth-the-hassle

I would suggest going to xda developers and asking the question in the forums under the Samsung Fascinate. I'm not sure putting a link to xda developers will be ok on yahoo rules but searching for it will be the first link. I won't recommend this but it's your choice. The people there are good and should help you on your way there, there are a lot of custom roms so read up the comments and select the rom you prefer and more stable.

Hope this helps.

How can I remove all the 3rd party apps of my android phone?
Q. I just upgraded from an Evo to a Galaxy and now I want to remove everything from my Evo (to open up more space) and use it as my MP3 player.

Is this possible? How can I do it?

Thanks for your help
I mean apps like blockbuster...gallery....htc mobile guide... NASCAR...qik video. I'm aware of how to uninstall apps I downloaded

A. Third party apps can be uninstalled from you device: "Settings > Application > ..."

The only way to remove bloatware, or apps that came with your phone is to root your phone.

Example with a Galaxy Note: http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-gt-n7000-remove-bloatware-lite-rom-creator-72064/

Read about the benefits of rooting: http://www.androidauthority.com/rooting-for-dummies-a-beginners-guide-to-root-your-android-phone-or-tablet-10915/

What means to root a Samsung Galaxy?
Q. Is it like jail breaking apple, if it isnt do u know how to get paid apps for free on android????

A. Rooting is not soecific to Samsung Galaxy.

Rooting a phone modifying it in a way that allows you to have root access (thus administrative rights), once your phone is rooted, you will be able to do lots of things you couldn't do before:
- Remove bloatware, i.e. apps that came with your phone
- Install apps that has some special features like controlling input and output (screenshot and screencast apps)
- Overclock your device for better performance
- etc...

> Rooting for dummies: A beginnerâs guide to rooting your Android device
> http://www.androidauthority.com/rooting-for-dummies-a-beginners-guide-to-root-your-android-phone-or-tablet-10915/




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment