KVM over IP (HDMI output)?

Q. I would like to find a KVM over IP with HDMI output. I want to use this on my TV, to avoid purchasing a media center or nettop PC. This will connect to my server which hosts some VM Images, and specifically one with XBMC. Are there any 'good' available on the market? Any other ideas?

A. I don't know what you are asking for, beyond a device that loads and runs those VM images at your TV, in which case you want a PC there.

To just play content from your PC, you need a media box such as a WDTV Live.

Under some circumstances, you can use WiDi, which extends graphics out to your TV or set-top device compatible with WiDi or similar screen extension technology.

For just XBMC, you can get a Raspberry Pi, or one of those Android TV sticks or boxes.

Depending, you might be able to use one or two runs of Cat6 cable to extend HDMI from your PC to your TV.

Where to watch tonight's raw online?
Q.

A. 1.)
Download and install XBMC to your pc/android device: http://xbmc.org/download/
2.)
Download the navi-x zip: http://code.google.com/p/navi-x/downloads/list
3.)
navigate to settings, addons, Program addons(i think) and install zip then find the navi x zip u downloaded and install it
4)
go to programs>navi x>media portal>live tv> live events or somthing like that and ull be able to watch raw ufc and other live sports there

Question about the HDHomeRun TV Tuner...?
Q. I have a question about the SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME. If i get this TV Tuner, i can get rid of my DVR that the Cable Company gave me right? If so can i also use this Tuner to watch TV on my Monitor and on another TV that i have in my house?
Also if i leave my PC off and want to watch TV, can i do that?

A. Q1 - If i get this TV Tuner, i can get rid of my DVR that the Cable Company gave me right?
A1 - Maybe. Depends on you're computer and network. You will (almost) certainly be able to record and play back on your Windows or Linux computer. If you're using wireless b or an old 10Mbit network, it will be too slow to stream anywhere near acceptable video. HD (over the air) streams use around 8-16 Mbit. Some SD channels "might" work tolerably.

Q2a - If so can i also use this Tuner to watch TV on my Monitor...
A2a - PC monitor with PC running - Yes.

Q2b - and on another TV that i have in my house?
A2a - No, not without a PC attached to the TV. It may be possible to use an Android streamer using XBMC, but supported devices are very limited and the software is a beta version at the moment. You may be able to use a dedicated streamer (Apple TV or Roku, etc. Mpeg-2 support is required, either by the device natively, or using software) but you'll need to cobble it together with plugins and create stream files. Not exactly as easy as using your remote. In fact, pretty darn complicated to replicate TV functionality. I canned this idea. I can probably handle it, but the wife and kids will never go for it.

Q3 - Also if i leave my PC off and want to watch TV, can i do that?
A3 - Yes, maybe, if you have a streamer attached to the TV and set up the stream files on network accessible storage. Not the way you're thinking.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment